Tags: attending, attorney, criminal, daughter, final, floridabri, law, lawyer, legal, old, outcan, procedure, public, school, state, time, trouble, withdrawed

17 Year old wants to move out....Can I get in Trouble?

On Lawyer & Legal » criminal law & procedure

2,883 words with 6 Comments; publish: Mon, 01 Nov 2004 20:55:00 GMT; (80062.50, « »)

The state is: Florida

I have a 17 yr old daughter who for the final time got withdrawed from Public School for not attending. The school won't accept her back.

She wants to go live with her 22 yr old boyfriend. I know I am responsible for her actions until she is 18. (11 months)

As long as she stays out of trouble can I get in any trouble for allowing her to go live with her boyfriend? Are there any laws against this?

Thank you in advance.

All Comments

Leave a comment...

    • I love my child more than life. I don't know what else to do. She has promised she will get a G.E.D. She has not made it in any school she has ever went to. I have put her in 7 different schools in the past 3 years, I have even tried private school.

      Her boyfriend is a very decent kid. He has an education and a good job and was raised in a good family. I completely trust him. I don't want my daughter to leave home, but she has her mind set.

      Thanks so much.

      #1; Mon, 01 Nov 2004 21:51:00 GMT
    • It looks to me like you have already made your choice. Let her go.

      Can it come back and bite you in the backside? Sure. It probably won't though.

      No, I don't think letting her go is the right choice, but like I said, it looks like you already made up your mind.

      #2; Tue, 02 Nov 2004 07:50:00 GMT
    • 17 year olds need to be in school and in PRODUCTIVE extra-curricular activities- NOT playing house with adults. Sorry, tell her NO DICE. She goes to school and gets her degree or she doesn't see boyfriend at all.

      An d , as punishment for not applying herself, she does not see boyfriend unchaperoned at this point until she get's her head out of the clouds and pays attention to her work instead of her boyfriend.

      Man, if I were lax on my schoolwork, my parents would have virtually locked me in the house to make sure my schoolwork were done each night and I would NOT have been allowed to party or go out if I were f*ing up, so to speak. And they certainly always let it be known that way more than a GED was expected of us.

      #3; Tue, 02 Nov 2004 09:07:00 GMT
    • Realize that if your daughter is abused or injured as a result of your negligent parenting, you could face serious charges.
      #4; Mon, 01 Nov 2004 21:45:00 GMT
    • Hmmm, I'm sure the Child Protective Services would be just thrilled to hear about a 17 year old being allowed to quit school and move in with her 22 year old boyfriend.

      As a parent, YOU'RE supposed to be directing your child, not allowing her to direct you. If you don't want her to move out, you tell her NO.

      #5; Tue, 02 Nov 2004 08:58:00 GMT
    • Get her into another school and if she refuses to go, go with her to school!

      If you willingly give up now on your daughter, she is likely to never get an education or a decent job. The 22 year old guy is probably not going to support her and future kids for the rest of her life. You want a better life for your kid, don't you?

      Do you really want to just hand over your minor child to an adult who has totally different motives and agenda than you as her parent?

      #6; Mon, 01 Nov 2004 21:09:00 GMT